In Nexus 7000 series switches, there are four types of VDC.
- Default VDC
- Non-Default VDC
- Admin VDC
- Storage VDC
Default VDC is supported on Nexus 7000 Only, As soon as we boot the Nexus Device, we get login in to Default VDC.
All hardware resources of the switch belong to default VDC and Default VDC has ID 1.
Default VDC has following features:
- VDC 1 is said to be Default VDC
- Default VDC is used to create, Delete, and manages other VDC
- Default VDC cannot be deleted
- Via Default VDC we can allocate the Ports to Non-Default VDC.
- Default VDC can be replaced to Admin VDC from Cisco NX-OS 61.
- Default VDC can interact with other VDC via management Plane.
- System wide parameters like CoPP, NTP , and other configuration can be configured from Default VDC
- Default VDC can also be used to install license.
- Once Default VDC is reloaded, entire Switches gets reloaded.
- Default VDC can be used for EPLD upgrades and also used for Ethanalyzer captures.