In this section we will learn about configuring RP in following ways:
- Configuring static RP
- Configuring Dynamic RP
Configuring static RP
In earlier version of Cisco Router has static way to configure RP manually , if we are using this method we have configure this static command on all router participating in multicast.
But if in case we have to change the RP, then we have to configure it in all routers doing so it can cause multicast outages. TO avoid this RP can also be configured at dynamic way.
Configuring Dynamic RP
Dynamic RP configuration has two method auto-RP and by BSR.
Let’s understand both method one by one.
- In this method each router is configured to use Auto-RP and to announce itself as RP via RP-announce message.
- There is also one Auto-RP mapping agent which may or may not be RP but gather information about all RP by listening RP-announce message.
- Mapping agents build the mapping table that list the best RP for each multicast group and finally picks the best RP by identifying the highest IP add if multiple RP is available for same group.
- Mapping agent then sends the RP-discover message to advertise the best RP selected for particular group at address 18.104.22.168
- All other routers participating in multicast listen for packet set to 22.214.171.124 to learn information about RP and use correct RP for particular group.
Configuration on Normal multicast router:
Configuration for Auto-RP mapping agent.
Here scope is TL value of mapping agent packet.
Configuration on Routers want to be RP.
Here scope is TL value of router who is announcing as RP.
Configuring RP via BSR
- This method is almost same as Auto-RP
- BSR router does not picks the best RP for each multicast group instead send all group to RP mapping to all other PIM router inside bootstrap message on 126.96.36.199.
- PIM router will independently pick best RP to each group.
On BSR candidate: