Google Cloud Function Introduction
Google Cloud Function
Cloud Function is a Function-as-a Service (FaaS) Offering. Using this, if you write a function in one of the language supported by GCP, it can be triggered by an event or via HTTP. GCP take care of the provisioning and scaling the resources that are needed to your function.
Cloud Functions uses containers to set an isolated environment for your function. These are Cloud Functions instances. If multiple functions are executed in parallel, multiple instances are created.
Cloud Function Characteristics
- Serverless: Cloud functions works on Serverless Model. The underlying infrastructure is abstracted from the end user.
- Event-driven: Cloud Functions are also Event Driven. Triggers are used in response to an event or HHTP request. Triggers are only invoked when needed and do not produce any cost when inactive.
- Stateless: Cloud function do not store data nor state. Due to which Cloud Functions work Independently, and scale as needed. Once Cloud Function is invoked, it has an execution environment and does not share share global variable memory or file system.
- Auto scaling: Cloud Function scale from Zero to desired scale. It is managed by GCP and its limit can be set to control the cost of execution.
Cloud Function – Use Cases
Below is some use case that can be achieved by Cloud Function.
For Backend computing, we can use Cloud Function instead of using Virtual machine.
- IoT Backbends: In IoT, large number of devices send data to backend. Cloud Function allow you to process this data and auto-scale it when needed.
- Mobile Backbends: Cloud Function process data, that is delivered by mobile Application. It interacts with all GCP services to make use of big data, Machine Learning capabilities and so on. In this Environment, Enterprise can go completely Serverless without using any Virtual Machine.
- Third-Party API Integration: Cloud Function can also be integrated with Third party API. Which allow you to extend your application with additional features that are delivered by other providers.
Real Time Data Processing System
Cloud Function uses event-driven data processing method. Whenever pre-defined event occurs, Cloud functions is triggered. When this happens, it can preprocess the data, that is passed for analysis with GCP big data services.
- Real time Stream Processing: When mgs arrives in Pub/Sub. Cloud Function can be triggered to analyze the message to prepare them for further data processing steps in pipe line.
- Real-time files processing: When File are uploaded to your cloud storage bucket, they can be immediately processed.
It allows users to perform various tasks in smarter way for data driven experience.
Chabot’s & Virtual Assistants: Enterprise can connect their text and voice platform to cloud functions to integrate with other GCP services, such as DialogFlow, to give the user a natural conversation experience.
Video & Image Analysis: Cloud Functions can also be integrated with various GCP AI building blocks such as Video and Images AI’s. When any Video or image is uploaded by user, through an application, cloud function immediately trigger the related API and return the analysis.